LIB44P1-21 : 21-8-1944 - FFI mail DE GAULLE - Liberation of Paris - Insurrection

€30.00
VAT included
Quantity

LIB44P1-21: Liberation of Paris - Insurrection of the Parisian population and the French Resistance against the German occupier, August 19-23, 1944

FFI mail carried by motorcyclist

Postage France 1,50F Pétain overprint "Croix de Lorraine" + French Resistance cinderella "de Gaulle / special post FFI - MLN"
cancellation "special post FFI 21.8.1944"

RARE!

Under the command of Rol-Tanguy and Chaban-Delmas, various groups of fairly ill-equipped resistance fighters set up barricades, organize ambushes and even undertake real battles to harass the positions of the occupier, as at the police headquarters on 19 August 1944. On August 23, the insurgents controlled almost a third of the city, but their situation was very precarious due to the lack of support and ammunition.

Under the circumstances, and under pressure from various French officials, the Allies under American command then decided to liberate the capital (which they had originally planned to bypass to continue their march to the east more quickly). At the head of the 2nd Armored Division, General Leclerc managed to enter the city on August 24 through the Porte d'Orléans, precipitating the Nazi capitulation on August 25.

100% secure payments

Libération de Paris, août 1944 25 août 1944 : La 2e D.B. du général Leclerc entre dans Paris, de Gaulle s'installe au ministère de la guerre. 31 août 1944 : Le gouvernement Provisoire d'Alger est transféré à Paris. 1ère surcharge de la Libération de Paris : Timbres de service émis par les F.F.I. et utilisés par eux pour le courrier transporté par motocycliste. Une seule valeur : 1,50 Pétain surchargé d'une Croix de Lorraine. Ce timbre était accompagné d'une vignette bleue grand format à l'éffigie du général de Gaulle.. Oblitération par cachet F.F.I. Les enveloppes ainsi affranchies furent collectées après la Libération et vendues le 13 novembre 1944 au profit des F.F.I.

LIB44P1-21
2 Items

Data sheet

dateemission
19/08/1944

Specific References

You might also like