LIB44P1-23 : 23-8-1944 - FFI mail DE GAULLE - Leclerc rushes to Paris

€30.00
VAT included
Quantity

LIB44P1-23: Liberation of Paris - 23 August 1944, Order is given to the General Leclerc's 2nd Armored Division to rush on Paris

FFI mail carried by motorcyclist

Postage France 1,50F Pétain overprint "Croix de Lorraine" + French Resistance cinderella "de Gaulle / special post FFI - MLN"
cancellation "special post FFI 23.8.1944"

RARE!

August 23, 1944 - Half of Paris is in the hands of the insurgents. Hitler gives the order to destroy the buildings and the commander of the Gross Paris Von Choltitz threatens the resistance of fighting and destruction with heavy weapons, the Grand Palais is in flames. In London, the BBC prematurely announces the liberation of the capital while fighting is still raging there.

The Second Armored Division progresses rapidly towards the southern suburbs, the Americans liberate Melun and Corbeil. After hesitating, the American command ordered Leclerc to rush into Paris. Their first intention is to bypass the city without taking it.

100% secure payments

Libération de Paris, août 1944 25 août 1944 : La 2e D.B. du général Leclerc entre dans Paris, de Gaulle s'installe au ministère de la guerre. 31 août 1944 : Le gouvernement Provisoire d'Alger est transféré à Paris. 1ère surcharge de la Libération de Paris : Timbres de service émis par les F.F.I. et utilisés par eux pour le courrier transporté par motocycliste. Une seule valeur : 1,50 Pétain surchargé d'une Croix de Lorraine. Ce timbre était accompagné d'une vignette bleue grand format à l'éffigie du général de Gaulle.. Oblitération par cachet F.F.I. Les enveloppes ainsi affranchies furent collectées après la Libération et vendues le 13 novembre 1944 au profit des F.F.I.

LIB44P1-23
4 Items

Data sheet

dateemission
19/08/1944

Specific References

You might also like